Friday, January 25, 2008

Living in the Kitchen


I still knit when I can, but the new puppy is a yarn thief. Having just lived through my mom's puppy shredding some Size 1s when I set down a pair of Jaywalkers to go get a coffee refill, having my own little beast wait in shadows until I walk two feet away from my yarn and then launch upon it has me needing to plan strategically when I can actually pick up the fiber and create something...car, airplane, bedtime (which is the worst time for me to knit lace...I nod off and get lost in my pattern).

So, cooking has filled the void that no knitting has left.


This week, I have made oven-baked Sweet Potato Fries spiced with cumin and red pepper, whipping cream biscuits -- world's easiest biscuit recipe (1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1 cup self-rising flour - dropped by the spoonful onto a baking stone and baked at 425 for 15-20 minutes.) I made my staple breakfast treat of tart cherry muffins, baked some spicy/sweet pecans for salad topping, steel cut oatmeal spiced with vanilla and golden raisins, homemade hot cocoa, baked Chocolate Crazy Cake in a rice cooker, fresh tabouli, and an improvised cornbread made with corn masa instead of corn meal...using what was available in the pantry and turned out to be so creamy with fresh corn kernels dispursed throughout...an accident that will be repeated!

No comments: